Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Are You Supposed to Just Give Up....

I have RA. It effects me all over. I have 10 different doctors. I'm sick and probably a little frustrated also.

One of the things that I really like to do when I'm able is cook. As I start to cook more I realize what in my freezer I need and what I don't. So I put all of my frozen stuff in a bag and donated it to the local food pantry.

Of course before I did that I managed to pick up the 30 pound bag from the freezer and hurt my shoulder. The shoulder that I've been working with my surgeon to get better for the last year. That shoulder that I've had 5 cortisone injections in, that shoulder that put me in the hospital from steroid induced adrenal insufficiency.

I should feel horrible that I re-injured my shoulder but I don't. How the heck are we supposed to live a normal life if we can't lift a bag when no one else is around to do it? What happens when you need to vacuum? Or pick up your child? Do we live in a bubble because there might be a chance that we injure something?

My surgeon's parting shot was "stop picking up stuff." I didn't say it out loud but I thought the day I stop picking up stuff is the day I lay down in bed and die.

So here I am with a strained shoulder and 4 more weeks of PT. Do I wish I could make that decision again, yup. Do I make stupid decisions sometimes? Yup, just like normal people do...this may be the one time I've actually done something normal...

1 comment:

Crazymamaof6 said...

oh honey. hang in there. you are right. life doesn't stop and you sometimes have to just do it. you'll think twice next time. hugs!