Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Witching Hour...

When Hope was a baby she used to have a period of the day that she was just cranky and inconsolable. It seems that you don't need to be a newborn to suffer from the witching hour. I still struggle with it every day, especially while I'm trying to heal after surgery.

I think I've posted here about the surgery schedule in my family this year. My mom had surgery on her ankle this February, I had surgery on my foot/ankle in March and today my Dad had his knee replaced.

During today's witching hour I realized just how much of a toll all of this has taken on me. I have read that very few people have complications or die during surgery but when you have 3 people going through surgery in such a short time you wonder how everything is going to turn out. (Though maybe that's just me because I had complications during my back surgery.)

During the other surgeries I did ok but on Sunday I told my Dad he had 48 hours to cancel..and I meant it.

Most of the time surgery turns out to be the easy part and recuperating is the hard part. We all have a tough road ahead of us to get back to some semblance of normal. But hopefully that normal will not require anyone in my immediate family to be put under or cut open in the near future.

So you ask, what does all of this mean? I get to breathe again. I get to worry just a little less. I start to untangle and just relax a little bit. I've been pulled so tight just to make it through this time and now I get to let go just a little bit.

And it feels like relief....and I so desperately need that...

1 comment:

Melisa Wells said...

I'm assuming it went well for him too...I hope you all feel better soon. :)